Pages

Saturday 7 April 2018

A productive fortnight

As some of my regular blog readers might have guessed, I've been away on yet another cruise, and for the last fortnight Sue and I have visited Spain, France, Italy, and Gibraltar. As the trip had several sea days at either end I used the time productively ... but not quite how I expected.

I took with me everything that I needed to begin work on a new book that had the working title MORE PORTABLE WARGAMES, but as I began writing it, the book morphed into one that is now entitled GRIDDED NAVAL WARGAMES. I started by revising my ironclad and pre-dreadnought versions of the PORTABLE NAVAL WARGAME, and wrote an opening chapter that referred to Chamberlain's GAME OF NAVAL BLOCKADE. I thought that it ought to include the text of the rules ... and then I added a chapter about the ironclad vs. ironclad rules I based on Chamberlain's rules and that I named had PREPARE FOR RAMMING!. A couple of battle reports were added to explain how the rules worked, and a book began to emerge.

By this time I had the bit between my teeth, and a chapter about my MIMI AND TOUTOU GO FORTH rules was added to the emerging book. This will need a battle report to be added to explain how the rules work, as will the two PORTABLE NAVAL WARGAME rules. The book is already fifty pages long without these additions, and it should not take too long to finish writing it so that it can be published.

It is therefore true to say that I have had a rather productive fortnight away ... and the cruise was good as well!

(A blog entry about the cruise will appear in due course once I have dealt all the emails that were awaiting my return, and I have finished editing the text and the photographs I want to use.)

14 comments:

  1. I am glad you had such a productive time. I really look forward to the book and the encouragement it will give me to dip my toe once more into naval wargames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare,

      The rules are aimed at fighting naval wargames between 1860 and 1920, but should be capable of modification for earlier or later periods. For example, PREPARE FOR RAMMING! could easily be adapted for galley vs. galley battles.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. That sounds very exciting! Has the PW Napoleonic project gone on hold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      The Napoleonic version of PW is on hold gone the moment ... but only temporarily. It is going to form part of MORE PORTABLE WARGAMES ... I hope!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob,
    Boy-o-Boy you are certainly a very productive fellow - even on a Cruise...like the idea of your Naval Rules and do look forward to your Blog regarding your latest journeys. All the best. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson,

      As the time of year was not very conducive to sitting on deck for very long soaking up the almost non-existent sun, it made sense to use the time I had to do something that I enjoyed, hence the new book got started!

      My blog entry about the cruise will probably follow in a couple of days ... once the unpacking and inevitable washing and putting away of clothes has been done.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a good trip Bob. If you could please email me your address I will arrange for my Daughter to drop off the Travel Battle sets to you when she is in Welling. far too fragile to undertake the long journey to Valencia, I know you will put them to good use :)

    Lee. lgramson@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Lee,

      Thanks again for your very kind gift. I hope that your move goes smoothly, and your new home in Spain is everything you hope fore.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Nothing like salt air, a clear horizon and the rise and fall of the swell to stir the mind and spirit.

    Good work, it'll be a useful addition for many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      A life on the ocean's wave ... there's nothing to beat it for clearing the mind and raising the spirits (rum in RN, of course!)

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Bob,
      Great news - nothing wrong with Napoleonics, but I'd been hoping you'd continue the "Portable Wargames" series with a naval volume (especially one focused on ironclads and predreadnoughts). Having experimented with the rules which you've posted in the past, I look forward to your current thoughts. Many thanks! Don

      Delete
    3. Don,

      The book will contain the latest versions of both my ACW and Pre-dreadnought PW Naval rules plus the text of Chamberlain's early blockade game, the simple rules I derived from the, and my WWI East African Lakes naval wargame rules. I might also add something about naval gunfire vs. coastal defences to fit in with my PW land rules.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Bob, I will look forward to your new book! I hope it will have illustrations featuring your ace home made models and perhaps contain a chapter or appendix on making your own warships for portable naval wargaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete,

      Rest assured that my latest book will feature pictures of my model ships ... and it would not be too difficult to include an appendix that illustrates how I build them.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.