Pages

Monday 19 September 2016

I have been to ... Skirmish in Sidcup

Yesterday morning I was able to visit the Skirmish Toy Soldier and Wargames Show in Sidcup. It is a local show that takes place twice each year, and I try to go to it every March and September.

I arrive at almost exactly 10.00am and it was already underway. The show takes place in a number of rooms in Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School; the main entrance (trader's stands), ...


... the main assembly hall (trader's stands and re-enactors), ...


... the main canteen/dining hall (wargames), ...


... and what appeared to be a drama studio (bring-and-buy sale).


The wargames were being put on by a number of local clubs, including:

Gravesend Gamers Guild: Fantasy


Medway Wargames Society: American War of Independence




Herne Bay Wargamers: Napoleonic


The Privateers of London: American Civil War Naval


Hornchurch Heroes Gaming Club: Fantasy


The Old Guard: Ancient Naval Warfare


Rainham Wargames Club: World War II


Tonbridge Wargames Club: World War II




Nowadays I seem to go to shows to meet up with wargamers that I know, and today was no exception. Amongst those that I managed to have a chat with were Ray Rousell (on the left) and Postie (on the right) ...


... David Crook, ...


... Alan Abbey, and Mark Ashby.

Over a drink in the canteen servery David Crook and I spent quite some time talking about our current projects. During our discussions he handed over a bag full of very useful Napoleonic goodies ... for which I am very grateful and about which I hope to write a blog entry very soon!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    Looks as though you had a great day out - particularly meeting up with old chums too. Seems as though there is a Gaming Event to attend there in England almost on a fortnightly basis- virtually on your doorstep. We are starved for such Local Shows here in New South Wales (Australia)...there is Canberra (CANCON) in January followed by 'MOAB' (Miranda) in October...and that is about it. Very pleased you've shared the day with us Bob. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev,

      I'm glad that you enjoyed reading this blog entry.

      There is a wargaming show 'season' in the UK, during which there are quite a few shows taking place. There are a few large-scale ones (e.g. Salute, SELWG, Partizan) but most are small regional or local ones.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. That's a great pic of me and Postie, it made me chuckle! Great to meet up again Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray Rousell,

      It was great to meet both of you, and I hope that you had a very enjoyable time at the show.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a convivial afternoon!

    Some of those games look very tasty. Did you play any?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conrad Kinch,

      I was only able to stay for a couple of hours and was unable to participate in any of the games.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Its a pity I missed the show. I ended up at Chatham Docks instead on the Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee Hadley,

      I must admit that I was a bit surprised not to see you there on Sunday ... but Chatham is a great place to go for a family day out. I was there earlier in the year and I was most impressed by the changes and improvements they had made since my previous visit.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Tim Gow,

      You might think that, but I couldn't possible comment!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Looking at the picture of the trireme battle, did the position of the sail have any meaning? --Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me (Steve),

      The position of the sails may well be important, but I am afraid that that was not made clear during my short time observing the game.

      Sorry to have been of little help,

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.