Pages

Tuesday 4 August 2015

Turkish delights

Yesterday's post included two more Osprey book that I had ordered some months ago ... ARMIES OF THE GREEK-TURKISH WAR 1919-22 ('Men-at-Arms' series No.501, written by Philip S Jowett and illustrated by Stephen Walsh [ISBN 978 1 4728 0684 0]) and ...


... OTTOMAN NAVY WARSHIPS 1914-18 ('New Vanguard' series No.227, written by Ryan K Noppen and illustrated by Paul Wright [ISBN 978 1 4728 0619 2]).


The first of these books is about a topic I knew a little about ... and I hoped that it would fill in some of the gaps in my knowledge. As to the second book ... well I have had a soft spot for the Turkish Navy ever since I took part in Eric Knowles's Madasahatta Campaign, which is why I bought it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    Both of mine are on order and I am really looking forward to seeing them! My long standing interest in matters Turkish probably started after Madasahatta when Eric organised the WW1 SE Asian nava campaign - in which yours truly had command of the Turkish navy. As I recall they spent a lot of time fighting the Americans....

    I managed to scratchbuild a Goeben in 1/1200th though - and it was still afloat when the campaign wound down!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Crook,

    Somehow I had guessed that you would have ordered these two books! I am sure that you will enjoy reading them.

    Eric Knowles's collection of 1:1200th-scale models was made up of some very interesting ships, including several that I scratch-built. I never took part in the SE Asia campaign ... but wish that I had.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.