Pages

Sunday 9 June 2013

Even more Morschauser

The second article written by Joseph Morschauser that Tim Gow recently found in an old copy of WARGAMER'S NEWSLETTER and then sent me, came at a very interesting point in time. (The article was originally published in WARGAMER'S NEWSLETTER: No.69 (December 1967).) I have been having a number of email discussions with David Crook about his planned Chaco War project and my thoughts on developing a small campaign set in the 1920s or 1930s based around my imagi-nation of Cordeguay. In many ways what Joseph Morschauser outlines below is very close to my own thoughts on the matter ... and it has given me some pause for thought.

One very interesting point that Joseph Morschauser makes in his article is the choice of figure stance he has made ... and why he has made that choice. I suspect that most 'modern' wargamers tend not to use kneeling figures except where they want them to represent gun crews, mortar crews, artillery spotters, snipers or something similar; for most infantry the 'advancing' figure seems to be the most commonly used pose. But Morschauser makes the point that a kneeling figure is more stable than a standing figure and that photographs of soldiers tend to show them crouched down or kneeling, and not standing upright.

It is an interesting point ... and one that deserves further consideration.

- o 0 o -
I have planned a departure from my usual grid type game which may surprise you. I have contracted with Jack Scruby to make me several special figures of Germans and British in W.W.I dress, not colonials but regulars. These are kneeling figures with rifle at the ready or with no weapon in hand (to serve as gunner types). These 30mm figures I plan to use loose, not on trays, something which may shock you. On top of this I plan to use a model RR type of terrain modified to the degree only making it useable for wargaming. My object is to set up some very small unit battles, not particularly of W.W.I but of the 1920s and 1930s. The figures will just be basic, all the same and I selected kneeling types because I felt that this was the best compromise between the stability of a prone loose figure and the looks of a standing loose figure. It’s a good position for modern war and one in which troops are often pictured. Anyway, my plan is to first set up a mythical Central American campaign between two tine banana republics, one with leanings towards German, the other with ties to the U.S. Thus, of course, the uniforms would fit. Some S. American countries still wear German pot helmets and use Mauser rifles by the way. In any event this will allow me to introduce variety though small quantity of equipment into the game, anything from W.W.I tanks and ACs to more “modern” types, W.W.I aircraft and later types including s9ome Ford or Junker tri-motor high wing monoplane transports for crude paradrops on the table. As anything from anywhere was used in the area in wars of the period this should be good fun.

My plan is to set up a mostly jungle type of terrain cut with many roads crossing each other and a very few hills, an occasional stream etc. Since jungle in that area is quite bad only the infantry will have any mobility off the roads and even then their weapons’ ranges will be cut. (A .30/60 or a .303 bullet doesn’t go far in dense brush and jungle). The numbers of ACs or tanks or guns used will be small and these will be confined to roads and an occasional small clearing. Thus most of the campaign will revolve around control of roads and cross roads with some attempted flanking movements through the brush. Airdrops by paratroops will be accomplished by dropping one inch square slips of paper from the drop point a foot or two above the table with individual men landing where paper lands. This should really add to confusion and fun. The whole thing will be on a company basis, not a regimental or divisional one. Its evident one cannot use a mass of trees and still operate a wargame thus I will simulate forest areas with some trees and a green overlay of shelf paper though I shall make trees numerous enough to look effective. This should allow troops to be easily moved and still look good. Rest of the terrain will be pretty near as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.