Pages

Saturday 11 August 2012

Resistance: A short review

I bought this film a short time ago and have managed to view it. I have not read the novel upon which it is based, but from the pace of the film I imagine that they have kept fairly closely to the book's plot.

It is not what I would term an all-out action war film, although it does posed some interesting questions about when one crosses the line between having to live with an occupying army and collaboration with the occupiers. As such, it could be seen as an allegory for the Allied occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan.

The concept that men living in the countryside would have 'faded away' to join the resistance is not far fetched. In 1940 special teams of men drawn from the Home Guard we recruited to form Auxiliary Units (part of what was termed the British Resistance Organisation) to wage a guerrilla war against the invaders. Any that survived the initial period of occupation would have formed the basis of a large resistance movement.

The acting is a little wooden in places, and the film's pace is rather slow. As Doctor Samuel Johnson once, this film is 'Worth seeing? Yes; but not worth going to see.' I don't feel that I wasted my £5.00 ... but I am glad that it did not cost me any more.

6 comments:

  1. Looks interesting - will have to take a look

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the film- you are kinder than I would be... I thought it was very badly paced. Seemingly to long and too short. There were bits that I thought were too long and slightly indulgent and other interesting bits that I would liked to have been expanded on.

    Just my 2p worth.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't got to Resstance yet but just finished watching It happened Here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Happened_Here

    An interesting film from the same genre. Quite dark overall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat G,

    Given the choice of which DVD to watch/buy, I would choose IT HAPPENED HERE. It is a much better film.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pete,

    On reflection, it probably is rather too 'wordy' and 'worthy', and the 'action' is a bit too thin. I suspect that this is due to it sticking quite closely to the original book's plot.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat G,

    When you consider the conditions under which IT HAPPENED HERE was filmed (It was made by amateurs using whatever and whoever they could get hold of), it is nothing short of a masterpiece ... and a miracle that it was ever finished!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.