Pages

Wednesday 19 May 2010

Build-up to COW2010

Having decided on what session I will be putting on at COW 2010 (this year's Conference of Wargamers), I have now turned my hand to sending out balance reminder letters and the pothole strewn job of sorting out the rooms.

It is probably true to say that most members of Wargame Developments are not in the first flush of youth; in fact, some might say that this is an understatement! As one gets older one begins to hanker for a degree of quiet and solitude at bedtime, and most attendees like to ask for single rooms. Unfortunately this is not always possible – it certainly isn't this year – and so I have instituted a policy by which the allocation of single rooms was done on either medical grounds (another problem with getting older is that bits of you stop working as well as they used to!) or by paying in full as early as possible.

This year we have forty eight people who will be attending the conference as residents for the whole weekend, one attending the conference as a non-resident for the whole weekend, and two who will be non-residential for part of the weekend. I have twenty single rooms, eleven twin rooms, two double rooms, and two triple rooms (a total of fifty two beds). As you can see, things are a bit tight and it has taken me a considerable time to sort the rooms out so that wherever possible, nobody has to share with someone that they don't know.

It's a difficult job, and someone has to do it. I just wonder sometimes why I volunteered.

6 comments:

  1. (another problem with getting older is that bits of you stop working as well as they used to!)

    A friend of mine once told me that after you hit 50, just about every part of your body either leaks, dries up, or falls off. I'm not sure about the last, but I agree with the first two.

    As for why you volunteered, it's because you're a good person who is held in awe and tremendous respect by your fellow hobbyists. (Has never worked out that way for me, but there's always a first time. For someone anyway.)

    In pursuit of your quest to record every game using squares, check "Overshadow" on the free wargames rules site. The rules are extremely simple, with a bit too much cute commentary, but they do use squares.

    Best regards,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Because you're there" as Colour Sgt Bourne might have said.

    but good on you for being there and not shirking. Well done sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris J,

    I will make no further comment about getting old, as my leaky bits might decide to take their revenge and leak some more!

    Somehow I don't think that it's because I am a 'good person who is held in awe and tremendous respect by your fellow hobbyists' that I help run COW; if my memory serves my right it was because at the time I volunteered, none of the fellow members of WD wanted to do it!

    The truth is that I did it because it was the only way I could guarantee I got a single room at COW - at least that is the excuse I give my wife every year!

    Seriously, I do enjoy my part in running COW, it is just that this year other things have conspired to erode my enjoyment.

    Thanks for the heads up about 'Overshadow'; I will look at it tomorrow when I have more time.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ross Mac,

    Very true ... and although I was told never to volunteer for anything, when you are the biggest person in the line-up you tend to get picked for any jobs that are going.

    I discovered this early on in life, and began to 'volunteer' because I knew that I would be picked anyway ... except that the perverse logic used by people who select 'volunteers' often ended up with someone else being chosen in my place!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you. I used to run the kids' program at our big conventions (painting, terrain-making, simple games), until some one decided I might not be trustworthy around children (!!!), which came as news to the other folks who helped me. I then started running the flea market (sort of a bring-and-buy to you chaps), which despite the sniping has been very rewarding. And yeah, the free room helps!

    Best regards,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris,

    In the UK we have become obsessed with what is called 'child safeguarding'. Basically anyone who comes in regular contact with children as part of their job (e.g. a teacher) or because they are involved in youth work (e.g. a scout leader) MUST have a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check made on them. This costs over £40.00 and has to be made for each different contact. In other words a teacher who is a scout leader has to have two CRBs done, one for each contact.

    In some schools they are insisting that ALL people who have to work on site (including visiting technicians or repair workers) are CRB'ed before they can enter the school building to do their jobs, even if they are not coming into contact with the children.

    The same level of 'safeguarding' has also been introduced for people who work with vulnerable adults.

    I think that you are probably better off running the flea market; it sounds like it is a lot less stressful than having to be CRB’ed!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.