Pages

Monday 15 March 2010

I need a name for my new imagi-nation!

I have been playing about with several different names for my new imagi-nation. So far I have come up with the following:
  • Fenetia – This is derived by replacing the 'V' in Venetia (the Italian name for Venice, the city that once controlled the area that the map I have created is based on) with the letter 'F'
  • Maldacia – This is derived by reversing the letters ‘D’ and ‘m’ in the name ‘Dalmatia’, and replacing the letter ‘t’ by a ‘c’
  • Ragusia – This derived from the old name for Dubrovnik (Ragusa) that gave its name to the dialect spoken along the southern end of the Adriatic coast
  • Veglia – This derived from the old name for an island in Kvarner, Northern Croatia, that gave its name to the dialect spoken along the northern end of the Adriatic coast
I have not yet decided which – if any – of these names I will use, and I may well end up with something completely different. Only time will tell.

7 comments:

  1. Names as damned tricky and very much a personal thing. I would offer suggestions, but I think it would be rather like offering to name your children...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All four look/sound good. I think that the last is my least favorite, but I find the first three reasonably equal. All good choices.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Ragusia is too... transparent, too obviously transposed from a name in 'The Real World™'?
    Do you intend this new country to be 'the bad guys'? "Mal" in tongues with Latin roots = "evil".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bob,

    No question - Slagoyuvia.

    You know it makes sense......;-)

    All the best,

    Ogre

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maldacia sounds ill-omened. Dacia was an old Balkan state that took on the Romans - see Trajan's Column - and mal means bad/ill, as in a malady, so 'Bad/Ill Dacia'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maldacia sounds very plausible to me, and it has a nice ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear all,

    Thanks for the feedback.

    My own 'favourite' is Maldacia, but as you will see from my next blog entry I have played around with this a bit to see if I can 'improve' it at all.

    Is Maldacia ill-omened? Well the idea behind its creation was to provide an 'enemy' for Laurania so I suppose that it will need to sound a bit evil.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.