Pages

Saturday 3 October 2009

When I woke up this morning ...

I went to bed last night full of good intentions. I had planned to do some serious work on the latest draft of WHEN EMPIRES CLASH! – COLONIAL WARS today, but when I woke up this morning I had itchy eyes, a sore throat, and a runny nose; in other words, I was in the first stages of a dose of the common cold that is currently ‘doing the rounds’ where I work.

Now trying to write wargames rules that make sense when your head feels like it is full of cotton wool is not a good idea. I did try … but even in my current state I could see that what I had written did not make a lot of sense. So instead of persisting with doing something that was going wrong, I decided to have a tidy-up in my wargames room. Not only did I get up a bit of a sweat carrying the bags of rubbish downstairs (my wargames room is on the top floor of our three-storey house and the rubbish bins are outside on the ground floor level) but also I felt that I had achieved something that needed doing (and that I had been putting off!).

I don’t feel 100% better than I did this morning when I awoke, but doing something active and positive – rather than sitting watching television and feeling sorry for myself – has helped … and I have had one or two useful ideas about the rules whilst I was doing the tidying-up.

So in the end it has not been a totally unproductive day.

4 comments:

  1. Remember to take Vitamin C and drink plenty of fluids . . . doctors recommend water (but what do they know).

    I hope that you feel better soon.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    That is pretty well what I am doing (along with a liberal does of Asprin every six hours).

    With any luck - and a good night's sleep - I should feel a bit better tomorrow. If I don't ... weel I shall find something useful to do that does not require too much concentration.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob,

    Hoping that his fionds you in more robust health today.

    Best,

    Tone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tone,

    After over ten hours sleep, another dose of Aspirin, and quite a lot of caffeine, I am just about able to cope with life. My head still feels like it is full of cotton wool, and my sinuses hurt like h*ll … but I can concentrate better than I could yesterday so I might be able to do some work on WHEN EMPIRES CLASH! later today.

    I hope to make it to work tomorrow, but the prospect of having to teach for six hours is not encouraging when one is feeling under the weather.

    Roll on full-time retirement!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.