Pages

Wednesday 8 July 2009

Computers: love 'em or loath 'em?

Last night I finally managed to fix the problem with my wife's computer by reinstalling the operating system. I don't understand what caused part of the MS Windows XP operating system to become 'corrupt', but I suspect that it was a combination of an automatic 'update' taking place at the same time as there was a lightning strike in the local area.

Reinstalling the operating system has worked ... but most of my wife's data files (including photographs) were 'wiped' as a result. Luckily I had done a backup for her a couple of weeks ago, which means that she has actually lost very little data. Had I not done the backup, a lot of work – and images of the places we have visited since we took up Cruising – would have been 'lost'.

The moral of this story is that computer users should backup their files every couple of days if they want to minimise data loss. My wife never saw the point of doing this before; now she does!

Computers … I love ‘em when they work and loath ‘em when they go wrong!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob

    Glad you applied some pro thinking to the security of your data, especially seeing as it is the wife!

    See if you can get some software called R-Studio off the web. Not advocating piracy, but for a one off it can be a bit pricey. Anyhow, this will recover just about any hard drive data under any circumstances.

    Meanwhile, I am in Kenya on project and return home in about 10 - 15 days. Will pick up on my Seine project then. The incentive has increased as a surprise contact from an old wargaming friend has driven interest further.

    Stay well, until later

    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arthur,

    I always back-up regularly (at least every couple of days) and update my anti-virus and anti-spyware software daily.

    I had managed to set up my wife's computer to update her anti-virus and anti-spyware software daily, but she was adamant that she did not need to backup her data files ... until her computer operating system went wrong! Luckily I have been backing up for her every month or so without her realising, so a bad situation was kept from being a disaster.

    She has now taken my advice, and also created a system recovery disk ... as she was advised to when she first bought the computer.

    I will have a look at R-Studio, although I do have hardware and software that can download the contents of a hard drive onto another hard drive.

    Enjoy your time in Kenya, and I look forward to seeing the progress on your Seine project later in the year.

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. Meeting old wargaming friends can be a real boost to getting a project underway. It was only recently that Ogrefencer and I realised that we had both wargamed together more years ago than I think that either of use cares to remember; since getting back in contact we have both sparked ideas off each other, and our individual wargaming has benefited as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    Thumb drives have come down in price to the point where you might want to get her some (colour co-ordinated, of course) for her to use as instant back-ups . . . and keep all of her files on various subjects together.


    --Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff,

    An excellent idea!

    I did buy her one when they first came out, but she used to complain that it was too big (which it was)and that she 'could not get on with it'.

    As you say they have not only come down in price, but are also a lot cheaper and colour coded.

    Methinks a trip to the local branch of Staples could be on the cards later today.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.