Pages

Wednesday 17 June 2009

To use 2D6 or a D12? That is the question!

One of the comments I have received as feedback about my latest set of wargames rules has given me pause for thought with regard to the type of dice that I have been using.

I used a D12 in my design because it is what I have been using recently, and this was prompted by its use in TABLE TOP BATTLES – the generic rules from which I have gained so much inspiration since I bought them.

Now when I write rules I like to keep things as simple as possible, and this includes the numbers and types of dice that are used during the game. I hate rules where I have to throw a D6 for this, a D8 for that, and a D12 for something else. Until recently my preferred option was to use the good old D6, but the move to using a D12 seemed to make little difference … until now.

The comment was made with regard to the number of squares of troops that can be activated by a Commander during a turn. The D12 gives 12 possibilities, each with an equal chance. The use of 2D6 gives 11 possibilities, but with unequal chances of each possibility occurring. Thinking about it, the latter makes much more sense and should produce a more ‘balanced’ battle, whereas the former produces a battle where events can wildly swing backwards and forwards in favour of one side or the other.

Having thought about this long and hard today, I have decided to replace the D12 with the use of 2D6 in the next draft to see what will happen. I suspect that the battles will become far more even than the one featured in the first play-test, but until it has been play-tested I will not be sure.

6 comments:

  1. Bob,

    For my home rules, I use "averaging dice" (numbered 2,3,3,4,4,5) for a number of things such as movement . . . and again for the purpose of restricting options . . . thus 2dAV gives a range of 4-10 inches, with 6=8" being most common.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    For totally illogical reasons I have never used average dice in any of my rules, even though - as you rightly point out - they do give a much more predictable result.

    I think that the problem comes from a time early in my wargaming career when I joined a wargames club where the rules they used all seemed to use average dice. I did not enjoy my time as a member of that club - too many cliques by far - and it put me off joining other wargames clubs and average dice.

    That said, I do own some average dice and they were used in the design of SOLFERINO IN THIRTY MINUTES.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff got in before me but that was going to me my suggestion as well (as well as going to 2D6)

    With the understanding that you don'yt like multiple types of dice I wonder if you'd thought of using average dice to govern the movement of your regular troops (ie. a more known result to reflect the fact they are regulars) and normal dice for the irriegular/tribal types??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,

    I used something very similar some years ago in my rules 'ERES TO YOU FUZZY-WUZZY (see the rules section in http://www.colonialwargaming.co.uk/), and it worked fine.

    Since then I have tried to use as few different types of dice as possible. Its probably down to me just being a old grump!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob - I have another option for you. Use 2d6 for the Europeans and 1d12 for the natives. This would make the more well drilled forces react in a more predictable and steady fashion while the "forces of chaos" would be very unpredictable and quirky. Although well qualified in the "old grump" department myself (!) I love using different types of dice to shift the probabilities around. I do have them color coded though so telling the difference between a d10 and a d12 is easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim,

    Your comment arrived after I had finished drafting the new version of the rules and so I have not been able to incorporate it. It is, however, an excellent suggestion and I may well change what I have written before making the rules available on the Internet.

    Many thanks,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.